Freytags Florist

Freytags Florist

Posted by chadfreytag on December 2, 2008 | Last Updated: October 23, 2019 Uncategorized

Poinsettia Myth

Christmas and the holiday season are upon us again and the poinsettias are once again beautiful. Our growers have done an amazing job with these plants. We only carry the finest plants available in order to distinguish ourselves from the big box stores. Come by and see the difference. I’d also like to dispel the myth of the toxic poinsettia. Here are some great studies courtesy of my friends at Texas State Florist Association that strongly prove the poinsettia is a safe plant. I hope all of you have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday Season.


-The poinsettia is the most widely tested consumer plant on the market today, proving the myth about the popular holiday plant to be false.


-Scientific research from The Ohio State University has proved the poinsettia to be non-toxic to both humans and pets. All parts of the plant were tested, including the leaves and sap.


-According to POISINDEX, the national information center for poison control centers, a child would have to ingest 500-600 leaves in order to exceed the experimental doses that found no toxicity.


-A study from the Children’sHospital in Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University found that out of 22,793 reported poinsettia exposures there was essentially no toxicity significance of any kind. The study used national data collected by the American Association of Poison Control Centers.


-As with any non-food product, however, the poinsettia is not meant to be eaten and can cause varying degrees of discomfort; therefore, the plant should be kept out of the reach of young children and curious pets.